Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Being MOM is a Tough Job

With all that goes on in the world today, I think one of the toughest jobs out there is MOM.  Everything in a childs life depends on MOM. From food and care to learning to be strong and independant. The ability to love and show love and being kind and respectful.  That is alot to put on one persons shoulders but since the beginning of time.....that is how it has been and for good reason. We as women are more patient and better equipted for the day to day care of such precious cargo. All that being said there are the days when I wonder   " How much can one person take?" I was reminded of something my Gram would say to us when things just looked to big to handle, " God never gives us more than we can handle."   A friend on Facebook and fellow crafter had a post on this just today   The Grahn Homestead: Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say! thegrahnhomestead.blogspot.com
All of this was very reassuring after a few bad days with teens at our house.  My kids are all grown but I am raising three great grandkids. But, like most kids there are days when you want to ask...What happened to the kids?  Someone has taken them over, they are possesed.  Some say give in and quit but I think it is my job to stand firm and guide them through these rough patches to be great young adults. Not to take the easy way out and let them run the house. Hopefully I am right becasue I am not backing down. I am not their friend but Gramma and responsible for them.  I WANT them to be not just good kids but good people who can think and resolve issues and I can boast about at every turn.
 I was so upset yesterday that I thought I could have eaten a vat of triple choclate brownie icecream. After hubby brought it home, I was so upset I could'nt swallow a bite. Grammas get hurt feelings too. Kids can be thoughtless and down right rude. I have brought all this to the table and want changes made and NOW. I want better treatment and ...want it NOW. So, until they get home and I see if this happens I am consoling myself with two little grandsons who love me unconditionally and making and taste testing oatmeal cookies.


"Better than Grandma's Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies"
Ingredients
Dry Ingredients
2 Cups all-purpose Flour
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Wet Ingredients
•1 Cup Unsalted Butter (I have used "regular" butter with great results too!)
•1 Cup Sugar
•1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar (firmly packed)
•2 Large Egg
•2 teaspoons Vanilla

Then Add
•3 cups oats (NOT instant)
•1 & 1/2 cups raisins
Directions
1.preheat oven to 350 degrees f.

2.whisk dry ingredients together, set aside.

3.combine wet ingredients with mixer on low speed to combine; Turn mixer speed to HIGH and cream together until color lightens and the mixture is light and fluffy.

4.Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until no flour is visible (DO NOT OVER MIX!!)

5.Add Oats and raisins and stir to combine.

6.Drop Approx 2 tablespoons of dough onto a greased cookie sheet spaced about 2 inches apart.

7.Bake 11-13 min (on center rack of oven) until golden, but still moist in the cracks.

8.cool on cookie sheet for approx 2 min before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

9.ENJOY!!    http://homesteadinghousewife.blogspot.com/2009/02/sorry-grandma-better-than-grandmas.html

The cookies are helping some, but I could use some prayers.  Maybe there is an Irish Blessing for raising teenagers. If so, please send it my way.



No comments: