Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Finally Friday

Well, it looks like a glorious day here in Wisconsin. If you do not listen to the news or block out what is going on in the capital. The sun is shining and they are calling for warm weather. Sitting here looking out the dining room window I thought I saw a bluebird hovering near their house in the garden. My husband started out making one made from a pvc pipe, so the squirrels would not bother them to 4 last year. Each houses a family all summer long. Maybe spring really is here.
 
I am in the mood to bake so I had to look for a recipe that does not include chocolate after giving it up for Lent.  Here is what I came up with....

BLUEBERRY AND LEMON CUPCAKES


1/3 cup fine-ground yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon creme fraiche or sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons sunflower oil
grated peel of 1 unwaxed lemon
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350F.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder in a bowl, then set aside. Beat the Creme fraiche or sour cream, oil, lemon peel, and juice together in a small pitcher, then set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg and sugar together for about 4 minutes until thick and pale, then add the lemon mixture and fold in. Sift the cornmeal mixture over the top and fold in to combine.

Spoon the mixture into the paper liners, then drop about 4 blueberries on top of each one, gently passing them into the mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-16 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To decorate
15 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon grated unwaxed lemon peel
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
about 1/2 cup blueberries
strips of unwaxed lemon peel
To decorate, beat the cream cheese in a bowl until creamy, then beat in the sugar, lemon peel, and juice. Swirl big dollops of frosting on top of the cupcakes and decorate with fresh blueberries and strips of lemon peel.

makes 10
http://thecupcakerecipes.com/?p=369  more great cupcake recipes can be found here.

In between my baking I am making more fun hats for Easter.  A customer emailed me about a fun hat she saw. Could I make one? Well this is what I came up with.






Bright and cheerful , I hope she like it. ! I will be making some and adding them to the Etsy shop !  Think Spring!

No comments: